Letter to Chairman of the RF Constitutional Court. Request for 27 Central Committee documents about Afghanistan to be added to the case materials for the defence at the Trial of the CPSU. [R 31 Dec 92] total 5 pp.
See 9.2 The USSR and Afghanistan for translations of most of the documents listed below.
[page one of five]
V.D. Zorkin, Chairman
Constitutional Court of the Russian Federation
Petition to add evidence to the case materials
As those representing the interests of the President of the Russian Federation and a group of People’s Deputies, we request that you add the following materials to the case, investigating whether the CPSU and the Communist Party of the RSFSR are constitutional organisations:
- Excerpt from Minute 148, of the CPSU Politburo Meeting of 3 March 1989, concerning the setting up of a correspondent’s office of the newspaper Komsomolskaya Pravda in Canada (with appendix).
- Transcript of a telephone conversation between A.N. Kosygin and N.M. Taraki, Secretary General of the People’s Democratic Party of Afghanistan, Chairman of the Revolutionary //Committee, and Prime Minister of Afghanistan, 18 March 1979.
- Excerpt from Minute 156, CPSU Politburo Meeting of 29 June 1979, “On the Situation in the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan and Possible Measures to Improve It” (appended).
- Excerpt from Minute 176, CPSU Politburo Meeting of 5 December 1979, “On the Assignment of Special Combat Mission in Afghanistan” (with appendix).
- Excerpt from Minute 177, CPSU Politburo Meeting of 2 January 1980, “On Increasing the Strength of the Armed Forces of the USSR.”
- Excerpt from Minute 7, CPSU Politburo Meeting of 21 April 1981, “On Supplies of Special Equipment to the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan” (appended).
- Letter from M. Moiseyev, First Deputy Minister of USSR Ministry of Defence, to CPSU Central Committee, dated 21 March 1991, about aid to the Republic of Afghanistan in terms of reviving the combat capability of its air force and supplies of certain communication means.
- Central Committee Secretary L. Zaikov’s letter of instruction to officials in charge of ministries and agencies specializing in the production and supply of “special equipment”, dated 26 July 1989.
- 1985 Progress report by the Committee for State Security [KGB] to M.S. Gorbachev at the CPSU Central Committee, 19 February 1986, 321-Ch/ov.
- Excerpt from Minute 172, CPSU Politburo Meeting of 31 October 1979: “On the Situation in Afghanistan and our Line to this End.”
- Issue raised by the Ministry of Defence and the USSR State Committee for Foreign Economic Ties, Pb 127/27, 7 January 1979.
- Transcript of a conversation between L.I. Brezhnev and Taraki, Pb 486, 20 March 1979.
- Transcript of a conversation between Taraki and A.N. Kosygin, Gromyko, Ustinov, and Ponomaryov, Pb 499, 20 March 1979.
- Our future policy in connection with the Situation in Afghanistan, Pb 149/XIV, 12 April 1979.
- Apropos of the Expediency of Soviet Gunship Crews Taking Part in Combat Operations Meant to Suppress Counterrevolutionary Efforts in the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan, Pb 150/93, 21 April 1979.
- Draft minutes of CPSU Politburo meeting, 10 March 1983.
- On Additional Military Aid to the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan, Pb , 24 May 1979.
- On the Situation with Afghanistan, Pb 176/125 , 12 December 1979.
- Conference on 26 December 1979 concerning the implementation of CPSU Central Committee resolutions // of 12 December 1979 and // of 27 December 1979.
- On Our Measures with Regard to the Situation in Afghanistan (#PI77/.. (illegible), of 12.27.79)
- Our Response to President Carter’s Message concerning Afghanistan, Received on [Washington-Kremlin] Hotline, Pb I77/220, 29 December 1979.
- Memorandum from Yu. Andropov, A. Gromyko, D. Ustinov, and B. Ponomaryov concerning the 27-28 December 1979 events in Afghanistan, 2519-A, 31 December 1979.
- Transcript of the main points raised in a conversation between A.A. Gromyko and Afghan Minister of Foreign Affairs Shah Mohammed Dost, No // 25 January 1980.
- On Procedures for Transferring Servicemen and Auxiliary Personnel to the Temporary Soviet Contingent in Afghanistan, Pb I80/64, 25 January 1980.
- On Holding Talks between the Soviet and Afghan Governments, Concerning the Terms and Conditions of Temporary Soviet Military Presence in Afghanistan, Pb 181/2, 25 January 1989.
- On Measures linked to the Forthcoming Withdrawal of Soviet Troops from Afghanistan, Pb 148/VI, 24 January 1989.
- Transcript of June Plenum of CPSU Central Committee, Pb 1200, 23 June 1980.
On behalf of the President of the Russian Federation, S. Shakhrai
On behalf of a Group of People’s Deputies Russian Federation, A. Makarov
Of documents concerning Afghanistan
|7 January 1979, Pb 137/27||Issue raised the Ministry of Defence and the USSR State Committee on Foreign Economic Ties (4 pp.)|
|18 March 1979, No. 242-op||Transcript of a telephone conversation between A.N. Kosygin and N.M. Taraki (8 pp.)|
|20 March 1979, Pb 486||Transcript of a conversation between L.I. Brezhnev and Taraki (8 pp.)|
|20 March 1979, Pb 499||Transcript of a conversation between A.N. Kosygin, Gromyko, Ustinov, and Ponomaryov with Taraki (15 pp.)|
|12 April 1979, Pb 149/ICY-op||The Soviet position with Regard to Afghanistan (12 pp.)|
|21 April 1979, Pb 150/93-op||The inexpedience of Soviet helicopter gunship crews taking part in combat missions to suppress counter-revolutionary uprisings in the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan (2 pp.).|
|24 May 1979, Pb 152/159-op||Additional military assistance to the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan (3 pp.).|
|29 June 1979, Pb 156/IX||On the situation with Afghanistan and possible measures to improve it (11 pp.)|
|31 October 1979, Pb 156/IX-op||On the situation with Afghanistan and our policy in this connection (10 pp)|
|6 December 1979, Pb 176/ 82-op||Dispatching special forces to Afghanistan (2 pp.)|
|12 December 1979, Pb 176/125-op||On the situation in Afghanistan (1 p.)|
|27 December 1979, No 13-op||Conference, 26 December 1979, on progress in implementing Central Committee CPSU Resolution No. P176/125-op, 12 December 1979.|
|27 December 1979, Pb 177/151-op||Our measures in response to the situation in Afghanistan (25 pp.)|
|29 December 1979, Pb 177/220||Our response to President Carter’s message on [Washington-Kremlin] hotline with regard to Afghanistan (5 pp.)|
|31 December 1979, 2519-A||Memo by Yu. Andropov, A. Gromyko, D. Ustinov, and B. Ponomaryov, concerning events in Afghanistan, 27-28 December 1979.|
|2 January 1980, Pb 177/239||Increase the numbers of the USSR Armed Forces (2 pp.)|
|4 January 1980, Pb 27||Transcript of the main issues raised during a conversation between A.A. Gromyko and Afghan Foreign Minister Sh. M. Dost (13 pp.).|
|23 January 1980, Pb 180/64||On Procedures for Transferring additional Servicemen and Auxiliary Personnel to the Temporary Soviet Contingent in Afghanistan (1 p.).|
|25 January 1980, Pb 181/2||On the talks about an agreement between the Soviet and Afghan governments, concerning the terms under which the temporary Soviet contingent is to remain in Afghanistan (17 pp.)|
|24 January 1989, P146/VI-op||On measures concerning the forthcoming withdrawal of Soviet troops from Afghanistan (13 pp.)|
|23 June 1980, St 1200||Transcript of the CPSU Central Committee Plenary Meeting, held in June 1980 (16 pp.).|
Sergei Shakhrai, Presidential Administration
A Makarov, RSFSR Supreme Soviet
Revised by John Crowfoot